Apr 15

15 April 1969: Deep Sea 129 Shootdown

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:45 PM


15 April 1969 (Korean time) marked the final flight of a Navy VQ-1 EC-121/WV-2 callsign Deep Sea 129. Roughly 100 nm off the North Korean peninsular site where the Hermit Kingdom today defies the world with its ballistic missile tests, lies the watery grave of 31 Americans (2 bodies were later recovered):

The crew of Deep Sea 129:

LCDR James H. Overstreet, LT John N. Dzema, LT Dennis B. Gleason, LT Peter P. Perrottey, LT John H. Singer, LT Robert F. Taylor, * LTJG Joseph R. Ribar, LTJG Robert J. Sykora, LTJG Norman E. Wilkerson, ADRC Marshall H. McNamara, CTC Frederick A. Randall, CTC Richard E. Smith, * AT1 Richard E. Sweeney, AT1 James Leroy Roach, CT1 John H. Potts, ADR1 Ballard F. Conners, AT1 Stephen C. Chartier, AT1 Bernie J. Colgin, ADR2 Louis F. Balderman, ATR2 Dennis J. Horrigan, ATN2 Richard H. Kincaid, ATR2 Timothy H. McNeil, CT2 Stephen J. Tesmer, ATN3 David M. Willis, CT3 Philip D. Sundby, AMS3 Richard T. Prindle, CT3 John A. Miller, AEC LaVerne A. Greiner, ATN3 Gene K. Graham, CT3 Gary R. DuCharme, SSGT Hugh M. Lynch,(US Marine Corps) [* Recovered]

North Korea not only acknowledged the shoot down, they loudly and boastfully celebrated their action. President Nixon suspended PARPRO flights in the Sea of Japan for three days and then allowed them to resume, only with escorts. No reparations were ever paid to the US or the families of the lost airmen.
And Kim Il-Sung celebrated another birthday (April 15th).

Read more here, here and here


  • Jim Valle

    Reconnaisance flights around the periphery of the Communist Block nations started early in the Cold War and went on for a long time. The Airforce originally used modified B-29s ( designated RB-50s ) and the Navy utilized a variety of aircraft starting about the same time. The aircrews were sworn to secrecy and the missions were a complete mystery even at the bases where the flights originated. When, as happened occasinally, a recon flight was shot down by the Reds or otherwise forced to ditch some effort was made to rescue the crews but usually without success. Families were invariably told their men had died in a “training accident” and they were treated like ordinary peacetime casualties. On a few occaisions aircrew may have been captured but this was completely hushed up and, even after the collapse of the Soviet Union, no attempt was ever made to investigate the fate of airmen who could not be accounted for. Only one book has ever come out about this. I read it some time ago, gave it to an Airforce vet friend of mine and now can’t remember the title or author’s name. Sorry about that!

  • Joseph J.Urda ( HM2 1969)

    Every April I think of these young men. I was stationed at the Naval Hospital in Yokosuka, Japan and was in charge of the Far East Mortuary. I got the call that a plane had been shot down and to expect many bodies. Only 2 were recovered, AT1 Richard E. Sweeney and LTJG Joseph R. Ribar. The daughter of Richard Sweeney contacted me a couple of years ago and thanked me for my part. She was a very young girl at the time of her father’s death. And just a month ago, the brother of ATN2 Richard H. Kincaid contacted me.

    If there is anyone out there who is aware of state side memorial services for this incident, please let me know.

    God bless all of them and keep their families in your thoughts.

    Joe Urda
    Groton, NY

  • Kincaid, Charles



    In letters from my brother, he knew the dangers of each flight mission, yet risked his life for our freedom.

  • René Hicks

    Joesph R. Ribar was the husband of my high school teacher…

  • Don Mac Neill

    On may 15 2010 the non proffit 501c-3 org Old Guard N.E.
    paid hoage two the family of Dennis J. Horrigan and the other 30 men who lost there lives that day Dennis was a close family friend of my wife and her older brothers best friend we are patitioning for dennis to get his name on the wall in VA as now he is classified as KIA as it says on his sione in the Memory field at the MA national veterans cemetary in Bourne MA.I believe that all 31 names should be added to the wall .

  • Tom Walker

    LTJG Robert J.(Bob)Sykora and I were in the same NAVOCS section (company) and, being from the same state (Alabama)and having graduated from the same university (Univ. of Alabama), were about as close friends as OCS officer candidates could be, and kept in sporadic contact after we were commissioned. I would like to hear from anyone who knew Bob after he finished NAVOCS, went thru training, and went to Japan. I think he was survived by a wife and son, and would like to find out where they are also. I can be contacted at: .

  • robert andrews

    Frederick A Randall was my cousin his sister are only ones left freddy inlisted from Halifax MAss being menberHalifax VFW iw liketoo give him some recon here

  • Ron Vanderbilt (Roach)

    My father was James Leroy Roach He was on the flight. we knew nothing about his missions he was awesome I looked forward to his return constantly we lived on base in Japan We had been there only 9 months. He now has 2 grandsons Cory David 17 and Ryan James 24 my sons. Plus a grandson and granddaughter by my sister. I am so grateful that he fought for this country to this day. Our service men and women do so much for our freedom (few could fathom) that we should honer them and trust them lets take the civilian out of the military business

    Love You Dad,

  • R. Terry Sharp (CTR2 1971)

    To the families and friends of the crew of Deep Sea 129 words and time aren’t adequate to ease the pain of your loss, but I want you to know that there are many of us that will remember their sacrifice. For several years I have ridden with Run for the Wall from California to D.C. during the last two weeks of May. Last year I dedicated my ride to the KIA & survivors of the USS Liberty. This year in addition to the Liberty, I will dedicate my ride to the memory of the crew of Deep Sea 129. While it isn’t much, I hope I can honor the memory of the crew with my ride.

  • Anthony Nozzi

    I served on the USS Ranger during the Pueblo crisis. Upon hearing of its capture we left the Tonkin Gulf and headed to the Sea of Japan for a possible confrontation with N. Korea. We were helpless as it was well known that the crew would have been executed if we would have attacked. My next tour of duty was on the USS Enterprise that was also operating in the Tonkin Gulf during the shooting down of the EC-121. Same scenario, flank speed from air ops in the Tonkin Gulf to the Sea of Japan. Nothing but a show of force, we were bogged down in Vietnam, another war would have spread our forces thin. It was frustrating for all since anger still persisted over the Pueblo.

  • Patrick Tesmer

    My uncle lost his life on this day. I never was able to meet my uncle Steve, but I am so proud of him my six month old son has his name forever. Zachery Stephen Tesmer was born on 11/11/2011.

  • Dennis Horrigan

    Don M Thank you for posting. My father and Dennis Horrigan’s father were brothers. I never met him as I was 2 years old.

  • Bill Holland

    CT1 John H. Potts was a personal friend of mine. We studied the Korean language at the Institute of Far Eastern Languages at Yale University in 1960 and 1961. As members of USAFSS, we served our tours together at Osan AFB, South Korea from 1962-1963. John was discharged in 1964 and shortly thereafter, joined the U.S. Navy. The rest, as they say, is history.

  • Jim Treadway

    This shootdown haunts me (CT2 at Kami Seya at the time). I worked with Chief Randall who perished that day with the 30 others. I could never understand why we did not retaliate. I salute the brave crew and think of them often.

  • Jim Treadway

    I worked with Chief Randall at Kami Seya. I had a great deal of respect for him. He was a dedicated Chief.

  • Claude Hawks

    I flew many times with John Potts and Hugh Lynch from Det Bravo in Da Nang, RVN. In December 1968 I went on liberty with John outside Tokyo when I was TAD from San Miguel on USS Mahan DLG-11 which was home ported in Yokosuka. A month earlier Hugh Lynch and I saluted one another in the Sea of Japan during an UNREP: he was TAD on USS Hancock CV-19 and I was on Mahan. Good men, both! There go I but for the grace of God. LT Stephen McRoberts, USN Retired (then CT2, and now Claude Hawks, LT USN, retired.

  • Bobbie Sheff

    My Dad, Ralph Janes, was an aircraft structural mechanic and flew with VQ-1 out of Atsugi from 1966 to 1970 on the “Super Connie’s” as he affectionately still calls them. He was home on bereavement leave when the plane was shot down. He has lived with PTSD since before it had a clinical diagnosis. Believing every day he should have been on that plane with the rest of his flight crew.

    I visited The Wall in DC in October 2014 and asked him if he wanted me to look up the names of his flight crew . He said they weren’t on The Wall because the incident occurred over Korea even though it was during the Vietnam war. Does anyone know if there is still an active campaign to get the names added or how one or all of us could go about starting a new campaign to have their names added?

  • Bobby Edwards

    I remember VQ1 members coming into the AF Security Service 6924th Operations location at DaNang in 1968 and 1969. For awhile, our Baker Flight troops lived beside Navy Barracks along the flight line at DaNang, just a couple of hundred yards down from VQ-1. You could easily see the Super Connies protruding over the top of the revetments at DaNang.

    As a Morse Collector, I knew about the EC-121 missions in the Tonkin Gulf, and one afternoon, I knew that one of the missions was due to arrive in the afternoon. I grabbed my camera and walked out on the newly bull dozed field which would soon become a tarmac for the 15th Aerial Port. I saw the EC-121 come into the airfield from the east side, traveling past the Air Control Tower, and made the turn back to the West side of the base – going East. I took a few photos of the EC-121, and filed them away in my collection. The time around late March of 1969, and our area along the flight line was hit with rockets many times the first of 1969. It appears that VQ-1 caught some of the damage from one of the attacks.

    It was my understanding that EC-121 PR # 21 was reassigned to Itsugi, Japan, flying recon missions in the Sea of Japan. April 15th, 1969 it was shot down, and I remember hearing of the incident, but I never made the connection of the recent duty at DaNang. April 27th, 1969 two weeks later, the Marine ASP # 1 Bomb Dump, and the Air Force Munitions Center, experienced a brush fire which quickly moved into the racks of bombs and began exploding. Our operations center was destroyed, and I became part of a team moved to the 6922nd in the P.I. at Clark for awhile. Although, Naval Security Sqdn VQ-1 personnel often showed at the Operations Center, I didn’t see them visiting after our operations site was rebuilt. For quite awhile, I operated out of 4 man Comm Vans, and my understanding of what was happening around me was very limited.

    When in the first year of George Bush Presidency, a Naval Recon mission was downed on the Chinese Island of Hainan, that brought back many memories and stories of what had happened, while I was at DaNang. So, I went looking through my photos, and found the EC-121 PR # 21 image taken from March, of 1969. In researching PR # 21, I realized this was the aircraft that was shot down April 15th, 1969, and then I made the connections of those Naval Security Group troops visiting our Operations. I have adopted these troops as a “never forget their sacrifice”, and I try to do it with my photo image captured at a moment, while the crew was landing at DaNang. Today, the 924th descendant element of the 6924th from DaNang works with Army & Navy troops in Hawaii doing similar missions. We are all brothers in arms, and as a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, I will never let these brave warriors memory be forgotten, while I am around.

    April 15th, 2015 – at a meeting of the Military Affairs Committee in Hampton, Virginia, attended by active duty military and veterans from all branches, I was given time to tell the story of this crew that was shot down. Lest We Forget. The Image on Face Book


  • Charles Kincaid

    thanks for sharing your story.

  • JoAnn Franklin

    My Uncle died here, also. He was scheduled to come home for a visit, but at the last minute, he had to fill in for someone who couldn’t go on the mission. I was almost 15, at the time.


    Even back then my oldest brother wrote all kinds of letters to President Nixon and any other person in the Government to try to get the flight crew’s names on the “WALL” but nothing ever came of it and to this day I believe their names belong there.

  • Bobbie Sheff

    Thank you for the reply Mr. Kincaid. I am an avid runner and a member of Wear Blue, Run to Remember. I dedicate all my miles to the Flight Crew of Deep Sea 129. This Father’s Day I got a tattoo on my shoulder depicting the Super Connie and the words ‘Gone but not Forgotten’. Please know that as long as I am able to, I will continue to honor their memories and see that they are not forgotten.

  • nicholsda

    Bobbie, those who were on that flight are not forgotten. They occupy a different wall that many do not know of though. At the National Cryptologic Museum.

    We were stationed at Kamiseya during 1966 and those flights were with Navy CT personnel from there on board. I went to school at Camp Zama and on a good day, the school bus took the short route past Atsugi back to our base. We often saw the Navy EC-121s flying there and out of Homestead AFB as AF EC-121s.

  • Theresa Richardson

    My Uncle was on the craft and had been sending letters to my Grandparents in preparation of his car and other belongings if anything were to happen to him. According the letters which we have he knew something was going to happen. RIP Uncle Louis Balderman <3

  • Kona_coffee

    I was a gunner’s mate on the Henry W. Tucker DD875. On the afternoon of the shootdown, we had just pulled into Sasebo for liberty. Less than an hour on the beach, we were ordered back to the ship by the shore patrol, we got steam up and went all ahead flank for the crash site. Surface searches all the next day, the coldest watch I’ve ever stood. Recovered a lot of pieces of the plane, full of bullet holes. I helped bring the bodies aboard and carry them below, and I was in the dress honor guard as we brought the caskets ashore back in Sasebo. Then we went back to swapping rounds with the shore batteries in Haiphong Harbor. It was just more of the war to us.

  • Richard Hess

    As a boy we lived in Broomall, Pa on Springhouse Rd. One spring day in 1969 my mother came into the kitchen with tears in her eyes, “Rick you know the Singers down the street, well they just lost their son off North Korea. His Navy plane was shot down yesterday.” We were a military family and I just remember the feeling of loss and regret that washed over us. I can remember there was a picture in the Philadelphia Bulletin newspaper with a picture of wreckage and a couple of life jackets floating on the surface. To this day I often think of Lt. John H. Singer and all his shipmates and the sacrifice they made, and I often think how John’s family would never be the same. Rest in peace Deep Sea 129

  • joe

    Thank you for this. I know my dad really liked flying with his crew on the plane. Joe Ribar, son of LTJG Ribar

  • John Bischoff

    I was in VQ-1 at the time of this incident. I flew in EA3Bs and my crew was on its last day of detachment to De Nang when this occurred. We flew home the next day and then went to a carrier off the coast of Korea where we stayed one day and returned to Atsugi. It has always bothered me that the U.S. did nothing more that a weak show of force. I lost some good friends on that plane.

  • Ted Cochran

    Patrick, I was stationed with Steve at navcomstaphil and left for temporary additional duty in Danang at Det Bravo to fly Big Look Spook missions. Steve and I were both O branchers. I returned to navcomstaphil in January of 68 after spending 180 days at det bravo. Steve told me that the plane and crew were reassigned to Japan and that he had orders to go there. He would be manning the position on the aircraft that I manned at Det Bravo. He asked me about my experiences and what the basic duties were aboard the Willy Victor. I believe he departed soon after and that was the last time I talked with him. Steve was a great guy and talked often of his family. I will say Steve’s name at a Veteran’s Day ceremony in a few days, as I have for the past 30 years. Tell Zachery Stephen Tesmer that his great uncle was a great man and a hero

    Ted Cochran
    [email protected]

  • Theresa

    If anyone sees this post You may also join us on facebook We found a few relatives and created a page for the men that were lost that day My Uncle Louis Balderman was aboard that flight I was about 5 years old We would love to get more family members to join and add stories about our loved ones This is our page https://www.facebook.com/groups/571984699641380/

  • Theresa

    Ron I hope You have facebook we found some family members of the crew I am a niece to Louis Balderman and we would love for You to join our group Do You recall any photo of the whole crew in the flight jackets in front of the plane I remember it till this day but no one in our family knows where it is or who had it My Grandparents and my parents are passed now and as many years that I have been doing research I cant find it as well . https://www.facebook.com/groups/571984699641380/

  • Neil O’Connor

    NSA released a declassified 1989 report on the topic in 2013. A lot is redacted, but it’s a good report. The entire crew is listed at the end, but misidentifies Navy ratings beginning with ‘A’ as USAF personnel.


  • Edward Marek

    I don’t get it. The EC-121M as shown here has a radome that should have detected the MiGs, yet I have seen no description that it had such a capability. Any of you know the answer?

  • Diane Lybarger

    My Big Brother, ATN3 Gene K. Graham, was on Deep Sea 129 when it was Visciously Shot down in this “Act of War”. I was shocked and devastated when the Wall came to my town and I could not find my brother’s name. I asked one of the men working with people to help find their loved ones names. After checking the list three times, he told me that my brother was not to be found on the Wall. I could not believe this, and I still Believe All of these Men deserve to be Added to this Memorial.
    I created a Facebook Memorial page ….1969 EC-121 Beggar Shadow Mission Memorial….. It is an open page for anyone interested in this Historical Day, and the EC-121 Lockheed Aircraft. Thank you

  • Theresa

    Patrick We have located some family members and we have a page We would love for You to Join Lois F Balderman was my Uncle who lost his life that day along with the other 30 men

  • Theresa
  • Mike Schaier

    My father LCDR John D. Schaier was with Vq1 from 1967-1970 I will never forget this day. Would love to hear from anyone who served with him. He passed away 35 years ago and I never knew much about his service.

  • John F. Sussilleaux

    At the time I was a LT attached as the assistant to the Provost Marshall Office/ Security Department at NAS Atsugi. Bob Sykora married a Japanese lady who worked in Security at the Main Gate Pass Office. They were married and had a baby girl just three weeks prior to Bob being shot down. After an unsatisfactory experience with the VQ-1 assigned Casualty Assistant Calls Officer I was approached by his widow and requested to take over as CACO. Her Japanese family had a “friend of a friend” who lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I got his widow and infant daughter resettled in CONUS, in Vallejo, CA close to the Mare Island Naval Station so she could be close to the Navy support system. I returned to Japan and months later was subsequently ordered to six months of Destroyer School in Newport, RI. Upon graduation my orders were to a DDG out of San Diego, but on the way I was assigned to three months of Guided Missile School. The school for Pacific Fleet ships was located at Mare Island. I took this as a sign from above.
    Bob’s widow and I were later married in 1970. Today Bob’s daughter is a grown woman, married and with a daughter of her own, our only granddaughter. We all live in San Diego and every year since the birth of her daughter they have travelled to Alabama to visit the Sykora family. The matriarch, now Great Grandma Sykora, will be 98 later this year. Her two sons and one daughter and their respective families all get together during the visit as well.
    On this, the eve of the 48th anniversary of the tragedy, Bob’s widow and I will be coming up on our 47th anniversary later this year. I would like to think he had something to do with how events transpired, and what seemed then as such an obvious sign from above so many years ago.

  • Scott Paul Allred

    from what I have heard is that they (Migs) took off with all their electronic systems turned off and flew very close to the water until they approached within range to avoid detection. Cowards.

  • Theresa

    Nicholsda as far as the names only nine of the crew names that were aboard the EC121 are on the wall at the National Cryptologic Museum

  • Annie DuCharme Wilhite

    Hi, my brother was Gary R. DuCharme and was on this flight. I would love to hear from anyone who knew my brother as I was only 10 years old when this happened and my parents would never talk about it openly. Needless to say we were all devastated and it changed our lives forever. 🙁

  • Patrick Knight

    I flew with HC-7, from the same home base as VQ-1. AT1 Richard Sweeney had just transferred from HC-1 to VQ-1. I remember flying SAR whenever the Super Constellations from VQ-1 lifted off as they leaked hydraulic fluid as they took off & landed. Sadly, we deployed aboard the the USS Dale (DLG-19) in a SAR effort when PR-21 was shot down. We stayed on station in the Sea of Japan searching for survivors & then in a recovery effort. We transferred to the USS Sterritt (DLG-31) & the Uss Mahan (DLG-11), throughout the Spring & early Summer of ’69. We encountered MIGs & Russian Bears that harassed us on a constant basis. I deployed in 1968 when the North Koreans took the USS Pueblo. I have a PR-21 & a Pueblo patch on my flight jacket & I still remember them!!

  • Terry Sappingfield

    I was serving @ OSAN at that time, for the build up of the Pueblo incident. The Navy plane, from Yokohama japan, I believe, was @ Osan for a week , for war games, I was a staff Sgt., and had partied with the NCO’s all week. Then on their way home, they were shot down, but with the war going on in Vietnam, the U.S Gov., didn’t want too much exposure this incident. We didn’t need another war going on, besides Vietnam. We had a nuclear build up on our base, but nothing was heard by my parents state side. It’s so disgusting, hearing today’s commentators on the talk shows discussing Korea, and saying the issues with No. Korea go back 24 years, or three presidents. Hell their mischief goes back to the late sixties, or earlier, and they are still up to the same crap…….

  • Theresa

    John I truly believe it was a obvious sign from above. I am the Niece to Louis F Balderman that was also on the mission . We have located 14 Family Members of the crew and would be delighted if You and Your wife would join our page https://www.facebook.com/groups/571984699641380/

  • Alan Cady

    The crew should be on that wall. That crew also flew out of Danang on similar missions along the coast of north Vietnam. I was a radioman on LCDR’s crew until I had to leave to go to College in January 21 1969. I had talked with LCDR Jim Overstreet about staying in (re enlisting) if we could keep flying on the same front crew. He would have tried to get me there, and I truly believed at the time he could. BUT my parents wanted me to leave and go to College. They won. I knew James as a very nice and sometimes quite man. He was from Mississippi and he always wanted grits about halfway through the long flights, and I would fix them. I was close to the galley small kitchen. We had a bunch of great me on the front crew. I don’t think that any of them were still on his new assigned plane as the head pilot. At least IK did not see any of their names the they came out on our papers in Iowa. Also the Radioman that was flying was also a good friend of mine. He was David Willis and he liked music he had a small band back sat Atsugi. I still am totally disgusted with the North Korean Military and Government and we all knew that they were a renigate group of criminals. The Military with the Grand father of the current North’s sloppy crazy leader. should have had a Nuclear bomb dropped on them then and they would not have the ones they have today. Alan

  • Alan Cady

    They sure could but that Dome was tuned information other things. BUT I know that the radioman did get a message about the fast closing of the jets on the flight. I also Know that Jim Overstreet immediately turned and headed back to Japan BUT the Megs were capable of near mach 1 and the EC 121 was slow, about 300 is it. They were already old. We also were always without an escorting fighter they were hit by a missile and they were destroyed and all of the crew were killed.
    It was true that LCDR Overstreet (Jim) had some uneasy feelings about this flight as dod some others on the crew. BUT the crew knowing all of this still left on that mission. They were a very brave bunch and their leader Jim Overstreet and his crew will always be heroes to me.
    The pueblo was captured in January 1968 and one sailor was killed on the takeover. The Pueblo crew were released on December 23, 1968. They kept the ship and still have it at a port someplace.

  • Alan Cady

    That is true, BUT they were still seen but the speed was too much for the EC121 to escape.

  • Alan Cady

    I was on the Constellation as the deck crew leader. We ended on the Conny after the Forestall was really damaged intuit torpedo explosion . We kept the A-3 flying and that was the only time I was on a ship in the Navy. It lasted 59 days and the best thing was I got to take a cat shot off the ship. Neat rush, It was not long after that I began my flying as a radioman on the REC-121’s with LCDR Jim Overstreet.

  • Alan Cady

    They had a feeling of something that they could not put a word to describe. I know of a few that expressed this, but KI only know what James Overstreet thought. I did not know about this until a few years later and one of the ground crew put it on the internet.

  • Alan Cady

    Yes, I knew that, and he was doing things to help out a lot. HE was a very good man and well liked by all.

  • Alan Cady

    I also have had PTSD since that happened. I was near suicide in 2007 from all of that and my auto injury and somehow my wife figured it out. I had planned on an auto accident after thinking of both a gun and pills, but the auto seemed to be less obvious to my family afterwards.
    I ended up on the mental ward and even tied down one night in that spring. It was always on my mind all spring. It started in March and was still;l going into May. I had problems all year long but it just was AWFUL in the spring. Tell your Dad that I said hello from McAlester OK. Hope he is healthy. The VA doesn’t think any of my problems are worth a % of disability. Oh I am dying anyway from the Dioxin in Agent Orange. In Danang I was a runner, well I ran inJapan also. but in Danang it was outside of the Air Base and it was a lot of running. I saw something being either sprayed or washed out a ways away on a couple of my runs. I also had a ride to Monkey Mountain Navy PX and I did not want to stay while the driver shopped for something? So I told them I would get back on my own. I just ran back to the base. Quite a run but nice. I ran around a golf course across from our church in Yokahoma also, but not as often.

  • Alan Cady

    I was also a runner in Japan and more so in Danang It kept me in shape and at 165 pounds at 6 ft. 2 in. Running is a great way to stay in shape. I never joked. that ids too caring and I think running is not as hard once you get the rhythm down. Keep running!

  • Alan Cady

    That was mostly CT’s of the enlisted and an officer or two. We usually flew with 3. That mission had two sailors and one Marine that perished then.

  • Alan Cady

    On the lead photo the EC-121 has wing top fuel pods. Our longest misssions were along the coast of North Korea. They were if my memory is still OK on that at most 14 to 15 hours. Long but not LOOOOONG. So we never need the pods. Did anyone from VQ-1 pro to 1970 when the P-3 Orion.?

  • REE42

    Anyone remember “Snuffy” Smith?

  • Bill Streifer

    I’m a journalist writing an article (perhaps for the CIA) on the downing of the EC-121 and the Russians. If you have an anecdote about the Soviet destroyers in the area, please contact me at [email protected]

  • Bill Streifer

    Hi, Mr. Konan_coffee. I’d like to quote you in my article on the EC-121 shootdown. Could you please send your real name to my e-mail: [email protected]

  • Joe Overstreet

    Terry, I would like to hear more of your memories from Osan. I’ve seen several posts from airmen working at Osan that recall PR-21 passed through Osan one or two days prior to April 14. My father was home the night prior, but my mother always thought they flew on the 13th also and aborted that flight. As we approach the 50th anniversary, it would be good to have a full historical account. I can be reached at [email protected]