Jul 12

Lighthouses of Maryland

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:01 AM

By

 

Please enjoy a small selection of Maryland Lighthouses from the U.S. Naval Institute Photo Archive. Like those from Virginia, many have guarded the coast since the beginning of our nation.

Concord Point

Concord Point

President John Quincy Adams appointed Concord Point Lighthouse’s first keeper, John O’Neill, on November 3, 1827. The O’Neill family continued serving in that capacity on and off until the light was automated in 1919, eliminating the need for a keeper. The Coast Guard maintained control until 1975, when the lighthouse was decommissioned. The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse formed in 1979 to save and restore the historic structure, which still stands today.

Turkey Point

Turkey Point

Pictured is Mrs. Fannie Mae Salters, raising the flag in front of Turkey Point Lighthouse along the Chesapeake Bay. Mrs. Salters was the only woman lighthouse keeper at the time when the photo was taken in 1945. She took over responsibility from her husband after his death in 1925. The lighthouse was built in 1833 and was switched to electric in 1948. The U.S. Coast Guard maintained the lighthouse until it was retired in 2000, but it was relit in 2002. The current light is solar-powered.

Old Greenberry Point

Old Greenberry Point

Located at the mouth of the Severn River to guard the entrance to Annapolis Harbor. The first light was built in 1848 but was upgraded in 1855. The lighthouse was abandoned by 1892 and washed into the Chesapeake Bay by erosion that had first been noticed in 1878. A new screw-pile lighthouse was built offshore as a replacement in 1892.

Hooper Strait

Hooper Strait

The original Hooper Strait Lighthouse was built in 1867, but during the winter of 1877, ice knocked the lighthouse off its foundation. The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1879 and is now currently part of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. It now stands at Navy Point.

Thomas Point

Thomas Point

The current screw-pile lighthouse was built in 1875, but a lighthouse was near this point since 1825. The Thomas Point Light is located north of the South River, south of Annapolis. The Coast Guard planned to fully automate the lighthouse in 1972 and dismantle the cottage. The public rallied behind the lighthouse, and it was officially listed with the National Registry of Historic Places in 1975. A keeper remained on duty until 1986, when it was fully automated. In 1999 the lighthouse was designated a National Historic Landmark.

Baltimore Light

Baltimore Light

The lighthouse was completed in 1908 with a light and fog bell. However, the lighthouse had a keeper for only a short while. In 1923 the light was changed, fog bell discontinued, and the keeper removed. Over time, the Coast Guard maintained the light, but by 2004 it had fallen into disrepair despite attempts to preserve it, such as boarding up its door and bricking up its windows. The new owners plan to restore and eventually open the lighthouse to the public as a museum.